Vegan Queso Recipe
Hey everyone! I am so excited to share this amazing recipe with you. Most of you guys know, I decided to go dairy free two months ago. I did cheat when I was Chicago, I had to have their famous deep dish pizza. Can you blame me? I have major skin issues so I wanted to see if dairy was the cause of my acne. Dairy, wasn’t hard for me to give up. I already used diary substitutes in majority of my cooking, but I could not let go of cheese. I am a cheese kid! Macaroni and cheese, Lasagna, and Doritos are some of my favorite comfort foods. I love cheese and crackers like my dad does (I’m talking Extra Sharp Cheddar, Havarti and Gouda).
It wasn’t easy giving up the gooey stuff, even the vegan cheese I found at grocery stores weren’t that tasty, I craved for that cheddar goodness. I had to accept I could no longer eat Tex-Mex or Italian. I was sad, but then, I found hope. I did some researching and I found I could make cheese with nuts, nutritional yeast, etc. I could make vegan cheese! And this cheese actually tastes good! This recipe is adapted from https://www.rhiansrecipes.com/vegan-stretchy-melty-grilled-cheese-gf/ , I added my own spices and extras in it of course. I had to make it savvy yall! I am sure you will enjoy this cheese as much as I did and I know your family will love it!
For the Cheese Heads- Vegan Queso
Cook time- 20 minutes
Prep time- 40 minutes
2 medium size white potatoes
3/4 cup of water or vegetable stock (I use water)
3 tablespoons of almond milk (or any dairy substitute)
3 blocks of mochi *You can purchase mochi at Whole Foods*
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/4 heaping cup of nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon of chickpea miso *optional*
1/3 cup of green olive juice from a can
2 slices of your favorite nut cheese *optional*
1 teaspoon of pink salt
1. Place the two potatoes in a microwave safe dish and heat on high for 4 minutes
2. Mean while in a medium sauce pan add 1/4 cup of water or stock in the pan
3. Place medium sauce pan on the stove top on high heat till water boils then turn heat down to medium- high.
4. When the potatoes are done in the microwave, put them in the sauce pan with the water- allow the potatoes to cook 2 more minutes.
5. Take the potatoes out of the water and peel them.
6. After the potatoes are pealed place the potatoes black in the sauce pan mash them.
7. Turn the medium sauce pan back on high heat.
8. Next add the mochi to the sauce pan and add the remaining water.
9. Cook on high heat for 5 minutes until mixture begins to boil.
10. Check the mochi to see if it has puffed up.
11. When the mixture gets to its desired consistency take off the stove top to cool.
12. Add the rest of the ingredients into the pan
13. Continue to mix
14. Serve immediately with nachos!
15. Place leftovers in a air tight container in the fridge for 2 weeks.